Fire suppression priorities are the safety and protection of life, incident stabilization and property preservation. SLCF&R is comprised of a Fire District that is 132 square miles. All South Lane County Fire supression personnel regularly participate in suppression training, fire safety, rescue, emergency medical, and other fire-related training and educational programs. SLCF&R Personnel are trained and equipped to respond to structure, vehicle and wildland fires.
SLCF&R's fire fighting strategy involves the following basic procedures:
- Arriving at the scene of the fire as quickly and safely as possible
- Assessing the nature of the fire by determining intensity/extent
- Determining type and abundance of fuel
- Assessing potential danger of entering the fire area
- Deciding most effective techniques for extinguishing the fire
- Locating and rescuing endangered persons
- Containing the fire by protecting adjacent areas
Ventilating the fire area to allow for the escape of heat and toxic gases
Extinguishing the fire
Fires located in the cities of Cottage Grove and Creswell that require more water than what is carried on the engine typically utilize fire hydrants for water supply. For fires located outside of the city, SLCF&R relies on the use of "water tender" apparatus that are capable of transporting up to 3,000 gallons of water. SLCF&R houses (3) of these water tenders stategically located throughout the district.
- FIRE DISTRICT SERVICE AREA MAP CLICK HERE (JPEG FORMAT)