Fire District Access Program
Oregon Fire Code:
503.6 Security gates - The installation of security gates across a fire apparatus access road shall be approved by the Fire Chief. Where security gates are installed they shall have an approved means of emergency operation. The security gates and the emergency operation shall be maintained operational at all times.
506.1 Where required - Where access to or within a structure or an area is restricted because of secured openings or where immediate access is necessary for life-saving or firefighting purposes, the fire code official is authorized to require a key box to be installed in an approved location. The key box shall be of an approved type listed in accordance with UL 1037 and shall contain keys to gain necessary access as required by the fire code official.
How to obtain your Knox Box:
Go to www.knoxbox.com and click"BUY"
1) Select Oregon and type South Lane Co Fire & Rescue where it says "Enter department name"
2) Click on "South Lane Co Fire & Rescue"
3) Click on "Select Department" button
4) Shop for your choice of access options.
For assistance, questions and installation location of Knox Box contact Fire Marshall Danny Solesbee at (541) 942-4493
Residential Knox Box Assistance Program
We would like to introduce our Residential Knox Box Program to the citizens of our Fire District. The program consists of providing a “key box” on loan to residents who qualify. This key box is called a Knox box. The Knox box is a secure vault for you, the homeowner, to put your house key in. The box is then hung on or adjacent to your front door for fire and medical personnel to access in the case of emergency.
The Fire District securely maintains a master key that is kept in a locked vault on each ambulance and fire truck in the District. We have the only key that can access your Knox box.
The purpose of the Knox box is so your Fire District personnel can gain access to your home to assist you in a fire or medical emergency. The Knox box is provided for instances where you could not answer the door for the paramedics due to illness or injury. Please install a Knox Box today!
Eligibility / Program Rules
In order to be deemed eligible and loaned a Knox box from South Lane County Fire and Rescue a person must:
- Reside within the boundaries of SLCFR’s service area.
- Have an existing medical or physical condition that could render them unable to open a locked entry door in the case of an emergency.
- Fill out a Residential Knox Box Program application and follow the program rules.
- The Knox box will remain the property of SLCFR and is only loaned to residents for use at the address listed on the application.
- Participants are required to sign an application and abide by the agreement.
- The Knox box shall be hung on the front door or securely attached next to the front door, and participants are to provide the Fire District with a key to the door.
- Should the homeowner ever change the door locks, it is the resident’s responsibility to notify the Fire District and provide us with the new door key.
- The loaner Knox box shall be returned to SLCFR when the original participant no longer resides at the property address in question.
If you have more questions about the program please call our headquarters at (541) 942-4493. We would be more than happy to install your FREE Knox box today!